PEORIA, Ill. - The Bradley men's tennis team won 5-of-6 singles matches for a 5-2 dual match victory against Eastern Illinois on a windy Wednesday afternoon on the David Markin Tennis Courts.
Bradley (6-8), which has won three straight matches and five of its last six, will close out a 3-match home stand Saturday by hosting IPFW (5-7) in a noon dual, tentatively scheduled for the David Markin Tennis Courts.
After dropping all three doubles matches to fall behind, 1-0, Bradley quickly took control of the match with straight-set victories by sophomores Justin Abrams and Kevin Keiner at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, respectively. Keiner downed David Constantinescu (6-4, 6-2), while Abrams defeated Volodymyr Zverkovsky (6-2, 6-2).
Bradley pushed its lead to 3-1 when sophomore Arthur Romanet claimed a victory at No. 3 singles after his opponent, Matyas Hilgert, retired midway through the third set. Hilgert won the first set, 6-3, but Romanet reversed the score in the second set and was leading, 4-2, in the third set when Hilgert walked off with an injury.
The Panthers stayed alive when Jamie Firth won a 3-set match against freshman Michael Davis at No. 4 singles, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3, but junior Juan Diego Cuadrado closed out the victory with a 3-set win of his own at No. 2 singles. Cuadrado downed Warren Race, 7-5, 1-6, 6-3.
With the team victory already secured, sophomore Gabriel Townes continued his tightly-contested mach against Michael Sperry at No. 1 singles and ultimately prevailed, 6-4, 6-7 (3), 7-5.
BRADLEY MEN'S TENNIS DUAL MATCH RESULTS
Eastern Illinois at Bradley - 1:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at Peoria, Ill. (David Markin Tennis Courts)
Bradley 5, Eastern Illinois 2
1. Hilgert/Sperry (EIU) def. Abrams/Cuadrado (BU) 8-3
2. Constantinescu/Firth (EIU) def. Romanet/Townes (BU) 8-7 (2)
3. Bauman/Race (EIU) def. Davis/Nguyen (BU) 8-5
1. Gabriel Townes (BU) def. Michael Sperry (EIU) 6-4, 6-7 (3), 7-5
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Warren Race (EIU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
3. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Matyas Hilgert (EIU) 3-6, 6-3, 4-2 ret.
4. Jamie Firth (EIU) def. Michael Davis (BU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
5. Justin Abrams (BU) def. Volodymyr Zverkovsky (EIU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kevin Keiner (BU) def. David Constaninescu (EIU) 6-4, 6-2
Eastern Illinois: 0-6