PEORIA, Ill. - With the deciding point hanging in the balance, Butler (4-6) pulled out a pair of 3-set matches to rally for a 4-3 men's tennis victory at Bradley (4-4) Sunday afternoon at the Clubs at River City.
Rallying from a 3-1 deficit, Butler clinched the team victory when Brandon Woods outlasted Bradley's Justin Abrams at No. 5 singles, 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-4.
The Braves got off to a strong start by winning two of the three doubles matches to earn the day's first point. As the teams split the first two doubles matches, the Bradley duo of Juan Diego Cuadrado and Michael Davis pulled out an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles to give the Braves the early 1-0 advantage.
Bradley moved to within one point of the victory when Cuadrado took No. 2 singles (6-1, 6-4) and Ashton Kalhorn snared the No. 4 singles point (7-5, 6-4). But the Bulldogs rallied to win the final three singles matches.
The Braves will have two weeks off before returning to action March 2 at Purdue.
BRADLEY MEN'S TENNIS MATCH SUMMARY
Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013
Peoria, Ill. (Clubs at River City North)
Butler 4, at Bradley 3
1. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BRAD) def. Billy Weldon/Austin Woldmoe (BUT), 8-4
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Michael Davis (BRAD) def. Pulok Bhattacharya/Tommy Marx (BUT), 8-6
3. Sam O'Neill/Brandon Woods (BUT) def. Justin Abrams/Hamish Weerasinghe (BRAD), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Austin Woldmoe (BUT) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BRAD), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BRAD) def. Pulok Bhattacharya (BUT), 6-1, 6-4
3. Tommy Marx (BUT) def. Ahmed Albitar (BRAD), 7-5, 6-3
4. Ashton Kalhorn (BRAD) def. Sam O'Neill (BUT), 7-5, 6-4
5. Brandon Woods (BUT) def. Justin Abrams (BRAD), 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-4
6. Billy Weldon (BUT) def. Michael Davis (BRAD), 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 6,2,4,3,1,5