PEORIA, Ill. – Bradley swept through the doubles matches to grab the early momentum and rode the wave to a 5-2 victory in men’s tennis dual match action Wednesday afternoon at the Clubs at River City North.
Both teams saw their season dual-match records move to .500: Bradley improved to 5-5, while Eastern Illinois fell to 3-3. The Braves will try to move over .500 later today by hosting another in-state rival, Western Illinois (7-10), in a 6 p.m. match at Clubs at River City South.
Against the Panthers, the Bradley doubles combo of Ashton Kalhorn and Ahmed Albitar earned an 8-3 win at No. 1 doubles and both players earned straight-set victories in singles action. Albitar earned a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles, while Kalhorn pulled out a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles.
Juan Diego Cuadrado and Justin Abrams also went undefeated in doubles and singles action against the Panthers. Cuadrado teamed with Hamish Weerasinghe for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles to secure the day’s first point, then rolled to a 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 3 singles. Abrams teamed with Arthur Romanet for an 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles, then clinched the deciding point for the Braves with a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 6 singles.
BRADLEY MEN’S TENNIS
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Peoria, Ill. | Clubs at River City North
at Bradley 5, Eastern Illinois 2
1. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Warren Race/Michael Sperry (EIU) 8-3
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Kevin Bauman/Robert Skolik (EIU) 8-2
3. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Ryan Henderson/Volodymyr Zverkovsky (EIU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Michael Sperry (EIU) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
2. Warren Race (EIU) def. Arthur Romanet (BU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7)
3. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Robert Skolik (EIU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Ahmed Albitar (BU) def. Kevin Bauman (EIU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Ryan Henderson (EIU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Justin Abrams (BU) def. David Constantinescu (EIU) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,4,6,5,1,2
Eastern Illinois (3-3)