PEORIA, Ill. – The Bradley men’s tennis team completed a 3-1 home stand by earning a 5-2 win against IUPUI (2-12) Sunday afternoon at the Clubs at River City South.
After dropping the doubles point, Bradley quickly climbed out of the early hole by winning the first four singles points to clinch the team victory. Justin Abrams evened the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 6 singles and Ashton Kalhorn put the Braves (7-6) in front by quickly following with a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 5 singles.
Ahmed Albitar put Bradley in command by adding a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles, before Arthur Romanet clinched the team victory at No. 4 singles with a 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-1 win. Hamish Weerasinghe made it five straight singles wins with a 3-set victory of his own in the No. 2 position, before IUPUI’s Jason Jaruvang salvaged the final point for the Jaguars with a 3-set win against Juan Diego Cuadrado at No. 1 singles.
With the momentum of three wins in their last four matches, Bradley will head south for a trio of matches during Spring Break, beginning Sunday at Western Kentucky. Bradley also will visit Alabama A&M March 18 and Connecticut March 19 in a neutral-site match in Florida, before returning home to open Missouri Valley Conference play April 6 against Southern Illinois on campus at the David Markin Tennis Courts.
BRADLEY MEN’S TENNIS
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Peoria, Ill. | Clubs at River City South
at Bradley 5, IUPUI 2
1. Jacob Bradley/Nick Volz (IUPUI) def. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 9-8 (7)
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Joel Modesitt/Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 8-2
3. Jake Hedderig/Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) def. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) def. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
2. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 6-7 (6), 7-5, 6-1
3. Ahmed Albitar (BU) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 6-2, 7-5
4. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Armaan Choudhary (IUPUI) 6-7 (3), 6-3, 6-1
5. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-3
6. Justin Abrams (BU) def. Jake Hedderig (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6,5,3,4,2,1