HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – Bradley remained perfect on its Spring Break trip through the south and ran its winning streak to five straight victories with a pair of road wins Thursday. After sweeping Alabama A&M, 7-0, in the day’s first match, the Braves (11-6) added a 5-2 win at Alabama-Huntsville (9-7) Thursday evening.
In Thursday’s first match, senior Juan Diego Cuadrado teamed with Hamish Weerasinghe for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles, then added a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 1 singles to set the tone of the match. The Braves rolled through the singles matches without losing a set.
Alabama-Huntsville came into the nightcap as winners of four of its last five matches, including a pair of 7-0 sweeps of NCAA Division I foes Western Kentucky and Alabama A&M. Junior Ashton Kalhorn helped put away the Charges, though, by teaming with Ahmed Albitar for a tiebreak win at No. 1 doubles to secure the match’s first point, then delivered the deciding point of the match with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles.
The Braves will wrap up their Spring Break trip with a Friday match at Tennessee State(0-4), before returning home to start Missouri Valley Conference play with an April 6 dual against in-state rival Southern Illinois on campus at the David Markin Tennis Courts.
BRADLEY MEN’S TENNIS MATCH SUMMARIES
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Bradley 7, at Alabama A&M 0
1. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Dominique Alexander/Nicholas Burger (AAM) 8-4
2. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Evan Brown/Desta Sandy (AAM) 8-2
3. Ahmed Albitar/Kevin Keiner (BU) win by default
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Desta Sandy (AAM) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ahmed Albitar (BU) def. Nicholas Burger (AAM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Dominique Alexander (AAM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Evan Brown (AAM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kevin Keiner (BU) def. William Law (AAM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Justin Abrams (BU) won by default
Order of Finish: 6,4,3,1,5,2
Alabama A&M (0-10)
Bradley 5, at Alabama-Huntsville 2
1. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Nestor Perez/Jose Soto (AH) 9-8 (3)
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Fredrick Graaner/Raphael Oliveira (AH) 8-4
3. Christopher Kano/Guillermo Reyes (AH) def. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Jose Soto (AH) def. Ahmed Albitar (BU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Fredrik Graaner (AH) 6-2, 6-0
3. Christopher Kano (AH) def. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) def. Nestor Perez (AH) 6-3, 6-1
5. Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Guillermo Reyes (AH) 6-2, 6-1
6. Justin Abrams (BU) def. Raphael Oliveira (AH) 7-6 (5), 6-7 (6), 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,1,5,4,3,6